Thursday, April 1, 2010

Hello...this is Maxine...are you there?



 The class looked so intent; as if they were actually connecting with whatever I was attempting to teach them. Then I noticed that they were trying not to look to my right. I was moving around the room like a good teacher should when I noticed Maxine Smart. Maxine is one of my special students who often seems like she is in her very own orbit, around her very own star. She had a plastic bag on her head and a shoe in her ear. “Hello…hello…is anyone there? Can you hear me?” Maxine spoke softly into her shoe phone. I looked around to see if anyone was answering the call. No one seemed to be on the other end. I told her to hang up the shoe and get back on task. Maxine tried one more number but, no one seemed to respond. She hung up the shoe, took the plastic bag off her head, put her shoe phone away and slowly got back on task.

Learning happens…
*All names are fictional to protect…someone…maybe me…

No comments: