Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Needs Adult Help

The other day I received a note from my daughters’ fifth grade math teacher. In the margin of test paper was written, “Needs adult help.” My first thought was to write back, “Aren’t you an adult?”
As a veteran educator (20 plus years) in a large urban school district I have a basic philosophy: To the best of my abilities, treat and teach each student how I would want my own four children to be treated and taught. Sort of the golden rule applied to the teaching profession.
Now, does this teacher assume that we do not help our daughter? Does this teacher think we are not aware of our daughters’ struggles? How would she react if the very first communication she received from one of her children’s teacher was, “Needs adult help?” I am looking forward to the parent teacher conference with my daughters’ math teacher.
I will let you know how things go after the parent conference. I would love to hear from other teachers and parents about the many interactions that happen on a daily basis between teachers and parents.

No comments: