Wednesday, March 31, 2010

On The Parent Side of the Conference

The most difficult part of being on the parent side of the parent – teacher conference for me is the uncontrollable need to be nice. After “conferencing” with my daughters’ teacher I am left knowing that my daughter will receive little more help than she is already receiving.

I believe the difference between a good teacher and a great teacher is that a great teacher observes, questions, and probes until they are sure that the student truly understands.

I asked my daughters teacher to occasionally check to see if my daughter really understands the concept being taught by maybe asking her. She told me that a lot of the students struggle with the concept and she suggests that they seek help from other students and adults. The sad part is I don’t think she was trying to brush me off, she actually thought she was being clever and helpful.

My wife and I am our children’s first teacher, and you are yours.  

No comments: