Monday, April 5, 2010

Corporal Punishment vs. the Time Out

Student discipline…time out vs. corporal punishment, most commonly experienced as “the swat.” I would really like to know how many parents and teachers are in favor of corporal punishment or not. 

I am actually surprised by how many of my colleagues would seem to be in favor of a good swat now and then. Especially considering most teachers were the good kids who always did their best, strived for their teachers approval and never came close to experiencing the seat of correction.

Personally, I think it is less abusive than most of the of the psychological warfare - time out - talk to the kid until they give in or we deem them incorrigible methods. Also, I think most teachers use the time out for themselves not the student. But, that’s just me. What about you?

Who is in favor, who is not? Are you a teacher of a parent? Post me your opinion.

No comments: