Thursday, July 15, 2010

Stardate, Thursday, July 15,2010

The Thing (video game)Image via Wikipedia
Myth: the younger generation is much more technologically adept than some of us older folks. True they can text their thumbs numb and play noentiendo until their eyes glaze over and their minds turn to Jello. But, that doesn't mean they know how to cut & paste or upload a file. Being a "gamer" means you know how to play a specific video game not that you can construct a complete sentence using proper grammar.

As my odyssey as an online teacher continues I am shock that so many students do not know how to perform basic editing functions. I am not sure what they think that squiggly red line under a misspelled word means. But they find it easier to ignore than a parental request to clean their room. So, I must do what all good teachers do; teach them from the bottom up.

I am very impressed with the overall politeness and respectfulness the students are displaying in my face to face contact with my students. I have enjoyed their responses to my daily quotes and pictures. I have found their responses to be humorous and introspective. 

Tomorrow, grading...
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: