Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Few Good Shots

Staff meetings....oh what fun it is to listen to them whine....the parents aren't supportive...these kids don't respect me....the administration/district/(insert monolithic bureaucratic entity) does nothing to help me...

I guess I am just surprised that some people expect rock heads to miraculously turn into brain surgeons and rocket scientists or upstanding citizens just because they are lucky enough to be a student of theirs. 

To me the students I have are the students I have. The parents that the students have are the parents they have. The administration/district/(insert monolithic bureaucratic entity) I work for is what it is. I can't pick my students, change their lineage, or get my administration/district/(insert monolithic bureaucratic entity) to do as I wish. All I can do is the best I can with who I have and where I have them. Complaining is a colossal waste of energy and time.

Teaching is a bit like a round of golf. I may not have broken par (or maybe even 100) today but, there was a few shots I felt pretty good about and that is why I will play again. I may not mentor the next president, but a few of my former students seem to be doing well.

No comments: